Friday, January 14, 2011

Evaluation- Preliminary Task: 'Blind Date'- Part II

We managed to get all the shots we needed in one day, and we began editing soon after. One of the problems with editing was that we were confined to one computer in the media rooms, only that computer’s D-drive was large enough to hold all the film files. This meant that we could only edit when the room was free- which was only really our lesson time and lunchtime. Another set back to editing was the expulsion of Liam from sixth form- this slowed down decision-making and left me on my own with editing. Also, I think I could have worked faster with the editing. This resulted in our production being handed in late, about a week after the deadline.

Editing was mainly just cutting the shots into order, but I also had to resolve some lighting issues in post-production that arose through the limitations of having only one light at our disposal. Another aspect of the film I added in editing was the slow transition from normal exposure to slight under exposure on the shots of Holly, to add to her mounting frustration. Also the shots of the other characters have a higher contrast than the shots of Holly, and a slight blur, to enhance their ‘unreal’ nature.

In hindsight, I think the things I personally did well were fast, effective and efficient planning and pre production with my team. On set, I believe I worked well with all the actors and crew, especially Liam, managing to film all of the shots we needed to, adapting well to the obstacles we faced. I believe that the film as a whole is good, meeting the requirements for the task, whilst also adding a narrative and comedy. The things that I could have done better and would do next time are: more frequent and up to date blog entries; getting written permission for the use of the location and more efficient editing in order to meet the deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment